Friday, February 25, 2005

Dubai American Academy - International Food Festival

I tagged along today, with a friend and his daughter, to an international food festival put on by parents of students who attend Dubai American Academy. It was my first visit to the campus and I was impressed. The facility is relatively new and has excellent fit and finish. It is clean and well cared for.

Despite the name, Americans are very much a minority -- as evidenced by the food. More on that below.

The location is stunning. The Bujr Al-Arab dominates the skyline to the north. Unexpectedly, rising just next door, to northwest is largest mall in the Emirates, complete with indoor downhill skiing. I expect to see members of the DAA competing in the Winter Olympics in the not too distant future.

Say food, international food and cheap and anyone who knows me knows I should be in heaven. I was. For a cover charge of 20 dirhams (about $7) it was all you could eat. (The drinks were a bit rich for my blood -- my Snapple tea cost 5 dhs -- but I later discovered bottle selling at the standard price of 1 dhs for 650 ml.)

As I say, I was in heaven. In the interest of full reporting I sampled from every stand.

Egypt - A variety of selections including Foul wraps. Foul is a mildly spicy dried bean dish. Rating: *** of 5.

Korea - A good area of selections. I recommend the spicy beef and the noodles.
Rating: ****

Australia - Home baked cookies were the speciality here. The sugar cookies with qualong were very good, and unique.
Rating: ***

South Africa - I could not resist the caramel mint tarts. Unique and yummy. But take it from one who knows, but chase them with Korean spicy beef.
Rating: ****

Palestine - A great variety. I went with a personal favorite, falafel sandwich, and was not disappointed.
Rating: ****

America - The American stand was clearly homemade stuff. (Looking back, I wonder if some of the other stands didn't rely on professionals.) The red white and blue Rice Krispy squares were gooey but not chewy.
Rating: ***

Poland - It's been a long time between perogies. These were tasty, and done the way I like them -- fried.
Rating: ****

UAE - Passed. Too much time cost of waiting in the schwarma line.

Canada - The guys grilling hot dogs were wearing hockey uniforms and the dogs were slow coming off the grill. I knew there was a work dispute in hockey but I didn't know this was what they meant. The dogs were sans pork. For a whole beef dog they weren't bad.
Rating: ***

Italy - Competing in the professionals only category. No parental participation; purely outsource. The parents contracted with an Italian restaurant to provide the food and serve it.
Rating: N/A (DQ)

Switzerland - By far the largest stand. I understand they're the largest nationality at ADA. Europeans like some thing American. Excellent cheeses and candies.
Rating: *****

Japan - Not to be missed sushi.
Rating: ****

Turkey - This was last on my tour. Whatever it was, it was good even though diminishing marginal utility had definitely set in by this time.
Rating: ***

Iran - Very good pistachios. Lots of other choices.
Rating: ***

Hong Kong - By far the smallest stand. The pork dumpling was very good.
Rating: ***

Lebanon - Empty. A simple framed message stated the nation remains in mourning.

Sweden - Classic herring and egg open face sandwich. Rating adjusted for the soy sauce left on my plate from sushi at the Japanese stand.
Rating: ***

Did I miss anyone?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home