Saturday, February 25, 2006

What I'm reading - 25 Feb 06

Boston mosque construction opposed by David Project :: Bridge News Portal

FrontPage magazine.com :: Welcoming Terror to U.S. Ports by Dr. Rachel Ehrenfeld and Alyssa A. Lappen - Sent to me by a commenter.

Larry Kudlow on Dubai Ports World on NRO Financial - "The entire case against the DP World deal is built on nonsense."

Alex Alexiev on United Arab Emirates on National Review Online - Sent to me via my google alert set for the words American, Sharjah

German multiplex giant CinemaxX has pulled the Turkish action blockbuster "Valley of the Wolves: Iraq" :: Reuters.co.uk - "The move follows a targeted media campaign by German politicians who claim the movie is "hateful and dangerous" because it depicts U.S. troops in Iraq committing multiple atrocities and because one of its bad guys, played by Busey, is a Jewish-American doctor dealing in stolen organs." My take: I want to live in a country where I can see that film.

The Muslim Madonna :: Hugh Hewitt - Here's a music video I'd like to be able to see in my country.

Oscar’s foreign films make strange bedfellows :: Khaleej Times

Saudi men and secret marriages : Khaleej Times - It is not permitted?

The economics of polygamy :: Marginal Revolution - Economists take an interest in polygamy.

Three's a crowd, four's a marriage :: CalendarLive - "HBO's "Big Love" probes the polygamists next door. It's family values of the provocative kind."

U.S. Wins Its First-Ever Medal in Curling :: AP - Interest in the icy sport of curling continues to heat up, I see.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John B. Chilton said...

FALSE ATTRIBUTION: slagothor, I went looking for your source. It is NOT from Volokh. It is from a commenter at Volokh. There's a big difference.

Just because Volokh let a comment stand does not mean he endorses it. There'd be no point in allowing comments only if you endorsed them - that shuts off learning.

I also subscribe to the belief that the best way to defeat misguided or malevolent ideas is to give them a public airing.

I agree with your point that the UAE ought to more directly confront accusations. It would be healthy and it would be productive.

So, no, I'm glad to have your comment stand. Just wanted it made clear that Volokh wasn't the source of the quote.

6:25 PM  
Blogger John B. Chilton said...

It could be countered if one did something besides roll up the tent and turn on the proxy everytime the press asks pointed questions. Same thing happened when the Harvard gave back the money - UAE never adequately repudiated some of the stuff put out by the Zayed Centre although the ZC was reformed. If memory serves didn't Gore accept big bucks from the ZC - before the reform?

Bingo: "zayed centre" "al gore" - Google Search

No matter. Harvard thumbed its nose at Larry Summers, too. Zayed and Summers are both gentlemen and heroes in my book.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home