Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Comment of the day: October 10, 2007

From here:
rosh said...
Agree with all of BuJ's views - he's hit the nail on its sweetest spot!

As someone who was born/raised in a single nation for the first 25 years of his life (am 31 today), it almost incomprehensible, not having the option to call this place as a *home* in its truest sense. I cannot express how unsettling it's to grow up thinking this way.

All my growing up, teenage and most adult memoirs are held in this tiny nation. My parents have been in the UAE since 1969, they are both retired, and continue to live in UAE. Today, I live in Manhattan - but UAE is my home, hometown, whatever you chose to call it. There is not a single day, I don't think, debate or check upon UAE. It's a part of me that I can't get rid off, even if I wanted to (believe me, I've tried : )

Personally, I couldn't care less of rights/benefits enjoyed by citizenry. The only right I seek is the right/option to live, work and make a home in a place where I was born and raised. Don't care for naturalization - a resident process is most preferred, so I can switch or ditch a job without the fear of "visa cancellation".

Beyond all the glam sham in Dubai, UAE is a beautiful country with a simple, honest and giving soul. I connect with it, like no other.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you speak arabic and do you have any emarati friends?

3:02 AM  
Blogger rosh said...

Respectfully, you asking me this, because?

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fella's got a point.

I would feel a lot of resentment and uncertainty if (for no fault of mine) politicians ask to leave a place I was born and subsequently raised. The choice to stay or leave must come from self. What thoughts do the politicians in united emirates carry and why do they treat people this way? Quite bizzare?

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home