Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why is a woman's vote more valuable?

In Afghanistan.

The Answer:
when an Afghan translator who spoke Pashtun with a local accent called the candidate and said he had 200 registration cards to sell on behalf of his village, the candidate immediately offered him $15 each.

He wanted to know how many of the cards were for female voters; those are more valuable because, out of respect for cultural sensitivities, women’s registration cards do not bear photographs, so they are easy for anyone to use. In many places, families do not allow women to leave their homes, so the men of the family normally cast their votes for them.
Read more about the Afghanistan market for votes here.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger James O'Hearn said...

I don't know if this is true or not, but in Aarvind Adiga's "The White Tiger", employers would line up their illiterate employees, take their thumbprints, and sell their "votes" to local gangsters. Those "votes" would then be used in every election for a good long time, going out to the highest bidder.

I know it's a novel, just fiction, but from what I have read of voting practices in Pakistan and Afghanistan, I think that little tidbit has the ring of truth. If so, I wonder what sort of skewing effect this has on the economy of countries where practices like this are more common.

8:32 PM  
Blogger John B. Chilton said...

Sounds like West Virginia, James.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous dubai hotels said...

It was completely new topic for me and I felt it was really interesting and informative. Thanks for grab my attention to completely new fact.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Hotels in kowloon hong kong said...

I must say it’s a really good blog. I like it very much.
Interesting article, thank you for shearing keep it up.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous cheapest hotels in hong kong said...

Thanks for sharing the article. I was really wondering and i get here and get amazed by the article. Hope that we will get more ahead.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Cheap Hotels in paris said...

Thanks for sharing this informative article. I was really wondering and i get here and get amazed by the article. Hope that we will get more ahead.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Dubai Business said...

It's amazing how open such things are, this only shows you how bad the election procedure's in such countries are.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous San Antonio Mortgage said...

Really a very nice article shared...I got to learn many things...

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home